Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NURIA BOWART - AS Teacher, Capoierista, Osteopath
[Image: 085dacd1-8447-40aa-af4f-67504c97adf7.jpg]

Dear Friends,

In December I will take the time to focus on fascia within my classes. Having just returned from the 2018 Fascial Research Congress (FRC), I have generated some new understanding and fun ideas for inhabiting and understanding the intelligence of our connective tissue, or fascia. Layers, density and relationships will be some themes of our explorations. Using anatomy as a reference, and sensing as a tool, we will move our understanding about fascia through space and time.
After 20 years working with Fascia as a dancer and a Rolfer, I have finally attended my first Fascial Research Congress. The FRC is an international gathering, every three years, of fascial researchers, and practitioners like myself. This year it was in Berlin, and I decided to go.
First I must explain, in case you do not know, that I am also a teacher of The Axis Syllabus; a compilation of information about the moving body, of which fascia is one aspect to understand. My understanding of fascia is both anatomical and experiential. My way of going about understanding fascia (and the entire body that I am becoming) is cognitive and somatic.
At the FRC I was among mostly academic scientists and medical professionals. I found myself asking where are the healers and artists?
When it comes to the body we are still in our infancy in being able to understand what it is, or more accurately, who we are. With the exception of the work of Jaap van der Waal, the FRC left me with the feeling that the scientific community (even within the world of fascial research) has decided that the body is a bunch of parts that needs service from the doctors with medical procedures (including various patented forms of medicalized movement programs). Most of the research presented was performed by trying to control the environment around a thing. In truth much of the research was also geared towards validating a procedure or object for sale.
The attempt of an experiment is to reduce influences so that only certain ones (the ones you want) remain. In the case of the human body, the systems are relational: in relationship to one another and in relationship to the overall environment. There is no argument that the typical scientific research, striving for objectivity, is useful for helping us to understand aspects of the body. However, through the study of fascia, it is clear that if you remove any part of the influences acting on a living thing, you change the thing itself. I believe it is time for more subjective empirical somatic research to take a more visible role in the claiming and cultivation of understanding about the living body, especially fascia.
Within an Axis Syllabus class, we digest the scientific information, and then “try it on” through experiential exercises and group participation. The act of exploring a thing within its environment is very useful. I believe that it is important to learn from the scientific research, but it is equally important to practice bouncing information through ones awareness while in movement.

My thought is that without the science we cannot see so many details about who we are, but without the artist we can not experience who we are. What I have learned within the community of artists/scientists of The Axis Syllabus, is that the scientists of the body need to practice with the artists as much as the artists need to learn from the scientists. Without the creativity of the artists we are not going to even be able to IMAGINE what we are, let alone understand or inhabit it.

Nuria Bowart
November 24, 2018
Millbrook, NY