• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axis Syllabus Workshop Cycle in Basel 2020
Dates:

February 21/22/23 Diana Thielen  - Resilience in adaptation

April 24/25/26 Antoine Ragot - „Your inner fish“

May 22/23/24 Baris Mihci - Movement mutations

October 9/10/11 Frey Faust - Triangulation, natural genius

November 13/14/15 Francesca Pedulla - Enquiring under the forms

Check the full workshop descriptions out bellow.

Schedule: Friday 18.00 – 20.30 / Sa & Su 10.00 – 16.00 (with one hour lunch break)

Price: Swiss francs / Euro
Regular workshop price: 220 / 200
Early Bird – until one month before: 200 / 185
Core-group price – if 4 or 5 of the workshops are booked: 180 / 165
Optional reduction for people not living in switzerland: -20 / -18

Housing: To make it possible for people arriving from further away to participate, there's the possibility to organise housing for 10-20 per night for a limited number or people.

The cycle is a whole which means that the people who participate in 4 or 5 of the weekends belong to the core-group that will have a priority in registration.

Registration and Questions to: Livia Kern, livia.kern@hotmail.com

Resilience in adaptation

The "tensegrity principle” (tension and integrity), originally developed in architecture, has many applications in contemporary dance and contact improvisation and other diverse movement disciplines. Our body can be understood and experienced as a tensegrity structure. The fascial network provides our body with an autonomous and continuous tone. Forces acting upon the body are distributed throughout the whole system, which always reacts as a connected whole.
We will explore the nature of the structures that manifest the tensegrity principle in the human body in solo and duet exercises. We will seek stability and permeability and look for ways of applying these qualities in our own movement exploration. There will be space to explore and experiment together, so that these concepts will not remain purely intellectual but manifest in physical experience in dance.
For everyone who is keeps reflecting their own movement-or teaching/healing practice. Yoga teachers and practitioners, dance artists, manual therapists or body workers.

Diana Thielen 
I am a dance artist/performer/blogger(movementactivism.com) and teacher. I teach Axis Syllabus, as well as practices in dance, performance, body politics and yoga. I graduated at SEAD / Salzburg (and am currently a student of Gender Studies / Educational Studies (BA) in Berlin. My work includes interdisciplinary perspectives that relate to my interest in queer theory, intersectional feminism, and postcolonial studies, as well as pondering and exploring private realities as a queer woman. As a teacher, I see my strength in my genuine wish to support each individual’s journey. Their experiences, as well as, their curiosities, doubts, vulnerabilities and lust to move and study are invited, to create a safe learning atmosphere.
http://www.dianathielen.com

"Your Inner Fish"
Evolutionary perspective on anatomical function, biomechanics and design of the body

365 millions years ago, a brave fish tried for the first time to hang out on land… And then what?
The evolutionary perspective helps us track morphological function and critical mechanisms involved in locomotoric patterns and thus sheds a fascinating light on our pursuit of investigating the contemporary human moving body. 
The analysis, exploration and fine adjustment of efficient locomotion in the 3 dimensional world and infinite possibilities of level change, will be an essential aspect of this week end.
This workshop aims to support the development of quotidian and athletic skills and is thought as a playful navigation between the modern world and our ancient heritage.

Antoine Ragot
Antoine was born in Poitiers, France and is now based in Berlin. Being an athlete throughout his first 20 years of life, his interest in the body manifested in two years of medical school which led to the university of sport sciences of which he graduated with a Bachelor degree specializing in education and motor skills. He then became involved in dance and different contact improvisation communities throughout France which brought him closer to unify his interests for the body, movement and performance. Today Antoine brings many years of teaching contact improvisation, sports and early motor development to his fastidious bent for research and sharing of the Axis Syllabus. Antoine is known for his enthusiasm and infecting others with the movement-research-geek-syndrome. Currently, his research is oriented towards paleoanthropology and functional morphology as well as the refinement and development of athletic skills via a friction between the Axis Syllabus research and problem-solving situations.

Movement mutations - Simple is complex

The question of how to move well or improve movement is one that many of us who are curious about movement education ask ourselves. The many ways a movement can be done seem endless. My attention when moving or watching movement is often drawn to these huge numbers of choices that exist; the amount of options and variations for example in walking, rolling, running or jumping. Which choice is more logic or just? On what basis and how can we choose? 
I would like to invite you into an investigation  that can help us in deepening our perspectives and understanding about how to choose a specific coordination for a specific context. Breaking down movement patterns or motives will serve as examples for adding options to the ones we already have, appreciate complexity hidden inside simplicity and experience something known as something unknown. 
We will also consider external aspects like space, forces or individual physical differences that play a role when we learn or integrate movement. Information from anatomy and mechanics will support us in making informed decisions. 
I think that adding options and perceiving them as a multilayered universe that we understand partially only rather than limitations or contradiction can give us wealth and richness. 

Baris Mihci 
was born 1976 in Wuppertal, Germany and is currently based between Turkey and Europe. He graduated with degrees in social pedagogy, German language, Sports and special education for physically disabled children at the University of Cologne. Baris then began his dancing life.  His curiosity about the art of dancing was strongly influenced by following the work of Pina Bausch for over 14 years.  Coming from an athletic background, movement was always a big interest to him. In 2001 he was introduced and immersed himself in the Axis Syllabus enabling.  Baris acquired a teacher's certificate after 4 years and has been teaching regularly for dancers and non-dancers alike across Europe since.  He has taught at Studio Hybrid, Dancetrumjette, the Cullberg Ballet, Tanzquartier among many other professional dance training institutions. Baris’ performance work is based in solo, site specific and improvisation. He has presented solos at Belgart Moment Festival, Festival tanzhautnah, RAC Festival (Brussels) among others. He has also collaborated extensively with Collectif en Transit, devoted to bringing dance to urban public spaces.  Baris is a key organizer of the Nomadic College since 2004 and a member of the Axis Syllabus member assessment panel.

Triangulation, natural genius

Nature's habit of using triangulated collagen fibers as the foundational building block for molecular construction is reflected in the macro-structures of the human body as well. Everywherewe look we see asymmetrical, torsional triangles, and the movements our joints and ligamentssuggest are extensions of the paradigm. This observation provides the strongest argument for poly-axial motion as the basic diet for the training and preparation of anyone who plans to move.
In this session, I will share perception and observation of this geometrical phenomenon in some anatomical structures, using anatomical images as my reference, and lead you in some directapplications of the observations for joyful moving.

Frey Faust
Born in 1960, Frey Faust began performing at the age of 8 with his family as a traveling troubadour. He is a second generation contact improviser and an alumnus of the 80´s New York dance scene. Some of his more important early influences came from: Shekhinah Mountainwater, Nita Little, Pavel Rouba, Rene Bazinet, and Janet Panetta. He has worked with and for a number of artists (order of appearance: Ohad Naharin, Donald Byrd, David Parsons, Gina Buntz, Howard Katz, Merce Cunningham, Meredith Monk, Randy Warshaw, Bob Een, Stephen Petronio, Danny Ezralow... to name a few. He founded or co-founded three dance companies, and has created or co-created over 40 choreographic solo and group works. Following an independent study of anatomy, biomechanics, and physics, he has been able to build a pedagogical approach that has made him a sought after teacher, personal coach and technical counselor. After fifteen years of research, he consolidated his findings in a book, 'The Axis Syllabus - human movement lexicon', which he continues to edit with the help of the Axis Syllabus International Research Community. Founded in 2009, the ASIRC is a rapidly expanding group of experts from many related fields in the human movement and education sciences. Recently, his work on the AS has been focused into the construction of a symbol set with the potential to streamline movement documentation and analysis. He also makes shoes, speaks 4 languages, continues to create and perform dances.

Enquiring under the forms
internal and external adaptations

... but, the exterior of a living thing, what else is it but the eternal manifestation of the interior? The exterior, or vehicle, is so finely tuned to the internal construct in all its variety and delicate complexity, that it is itself destined to become internalized,because the two qualities of internal and external are in a direct and permanent rapport, whether in a state of repose or virtuosicmovement...”
J.W. Goethe

How can I differentiate the perception of the multiple actions - reactions of the body when it is in movement?
How can I define the boundaries between what is me and what is not? 
How can I use and specify the role of my structures to absorb, resist, push, pull, get closer, get away? 
Through the tools offered by the Axis Syllabus we will observe and play with the sophisticated intelligence of the body in motion and its interactions with the environment that surrounds us; we will work on theoretical and practical stimuli, individual and group improvisations, and we will dance together.
The workshop is open to dancers, actors, musicians, professionals and amateurs of the movement and to all who are interested in experiencing an accurate awareness of the body and its expressive potential.

FrancescaPedullà
Dance artist, Axis Syllabus teacher and independent curator. Fascinated by human relationships and curious about successful, unsuccessful and unfinished dialogues, I make the body the subject and the object of my inquiry. Based in Berlin, but always in movement, I choreograph, perform and teach throughout Europe, Israel, the USA, Canada, Brazil and Benin.
http://www.francescapedulla.org / http://www.myelinzone.org